Myanmar ISIS is a research and policy analysis institute working on international relations and Myanmar foreign policy.
Myanmar ISIS office on Thantaman road
• Contributes timely inputs, views, research papers and recommendations to support policy and decision-making on bilateral and multilateral issues.
• Serves Myanmar’s national interest while promoting peace, friendship and cooperation with other countries.
• Organizes and hosts seminars, workshops and debates in Myanmar in cooperation with internationally recognized institutions.
• Sends representatives to meetings, seminars, workshops and roundtable discussions organized by other institutes of international studies and think tanks in Asia and other parts of the world.
While much research is carried out on domestic issues in Myanmar, less is done on foreign policy.
Myanmar ISIS is the sole think-tank taking attempting to fulfill the gap.
A foreign-policy think-tank can both give foreign actors a better understanding of Myanmar's stances, policies and actions and provide advice to Myanmar representatives in their decision-making at a regional or global level.
• Carry out quality research on international issues relevant for Myanmar
• Cultivate a new generation of international affairs experts in Myanmar
• Communicate policy-relevant content to decision-makers
• Raising awareness of Myanmar ISIS’ activities in Myanmar and abroad
• Actively maintain contact with other Myanmar governmental institutions, and inform their policies
• The institute’s research will be strengthened by increasing the analytical output in the following areas:
- The role of ASEAN
- The foreign policies of China, the EU, India, Japan, the USA and other major powers
- South East Asian affairs
- International cooperation on environmental protection and climate change
- International energy relations and foreign direct investment in Myanmar
- The role of Buddhism in international affairs
• We seek to increase our impact by making our analytical outputs available to the public, engaging with both experts, practitioners as well as the future generation of young Myanmar scholars on foreign policy analysis; make our research library accessible to the public and especially students; carry out research trainings, especially for young promising Myanmar foreign policy scholars, diplomats and other experts; receiving and sending more visiting fellows.
• Our public profile in Myanmar will be strengthened through public events; diplomatic training courses; facilitation of foreign contributions; media appearances of Myanmar ISIS staff and associates; activity on social media; raising more funds.
The activities of Myanmar ISIS are aimed at the following constituencies:
• Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs and other government institutions
• Myanmar civil society and public
• The international community
Our aim is to impact policy-making by sending recommendations to concerned government departments.
Importantly, we engage in track-II diplomacy. By providing a centre for dialogue, we seek to contribute to the Myanmar’s institutional capacity-building and democratic transition.
Myanmar ISIS was first formed in 1992 by the State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) of Myanmar with the then Minister for Foreign Affairs as its Chairman. Myanmar ISIS continues to exchange views with the Myanmar Ministry of Foreign Affairs all whilst engaging in track-II diplomacy.
Impact of Climate Change on ASEAN International Affaris:Risk and Opportunity Multiplier
The elibrary provides access to a vast array of databases, newspapers, journals and ebooks (15,000+ full-text scholarly journals, 14,000+ full-text academic e-books!)